Welcome back to Wonderland! Tomorrow – Tuesday June 23 – our library opens back up to the public, and we are very much looking forward to seeing our young patrons again!
We want you to know that the library, including the children’s department, looks just a little different, as we adhere to social distancing and other virus-initiated protocols.
Here’s what to expect for you and your children when you visit the children’s room …
When you arrive at the library:
- A maximum of 60 people are allowed in the library building at any given time (including staff and service workers). An automatic people counter device keeps track of the number of people entering and exiting the building. Please be prepared to wait outside the building, if necessary, at designated spots to the right of the front door.
- Every person entering the building (including children) is required to stop to have their temperature read by the thermal temperature reader inside the front door.
- Face masks are required for every person in the building over the age of 2. If you do not have a mask, the library will provide you with one.
- Please do not visit the library if you are exhibiting any signs of the virus. We are still happy to help you over the phone, and both our contactless curbside pickup and our drive-up holds window will remain in service.
- Returns must be dropped off at the drive-up book drop or in the bin outside the front of the library. No returns will be accepted inside the building.
- You must maintain at least six feet of space between you and other people. Many directional signs will help with the flow of people throughout the library.
- The second floor is closed, but adult reference librarians are available in the café space to assist patrons and retrieve items that are kept upstairs.
- The café is closed.
- Public restrooms are still available in the front lobby.
- The water fountains in the building are not usable.
- The Friends of the Library bookstore is closed, and no donations are accepted at this time.
- Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
The Youth Services department:
- Please stop at the Information Station at the entrance to the room, staffed by the children’s librarians. This is where you can ask questions of any kind and retrieve prize bags and other Summer Learning Program materials.
- Most materials are still available for checkout: books, themed book bundles, DVDs, CDs, tablets, playaways, video games, books on CD, puzzles, and some STEM kits.
- Puppets are not available for checkout at this time.
- The Born to Play Room is closed, and all of the toys and computers in the children’s department have been put away.
- The Teen Room is closed. However, our staff is happy to retrieve any items that you would like to check out from the Teen Room.
- All study rooms in the library are closed.
- The patio is closed to the public.
- You may use the public restroom in the children’s room: one is designated for staff use, and one is for the public.
- We have lots of directional signs and floor signs to help create a smooth and safely-distanced flow of people in the room.
- We have placed large bins throughout the room for you to put books and materials that you have handled but do not want to check out.
- You may still use the self-checkout machine in the children’s room.
- You may pick up Summer Learning Program prizes in the room (at the Information Station) or call us to request a curbside pickup.
- Please keep your young children with you while in the library, including the children’s room.
We know that there are many changes, and that our spaces and services will look a bit different at this time. But we have a wide variety of materials for you to check out, and we are happy to help you find what you need – just ask!
We hope to see you soon!